Sunday, April 26, 2015

3) Locals

         I was really curious about what Czech locals are like before I came to Czech because I have been interested in the history and culture of this country for a while. Like I mentioned in my other posting, Czech Republic is a country that has a long and rocky history, and it has undergone many hardships and great suffering because of the actions of neighboring countries. Since Czech has many similarities with Korean history, I became interested in the people of Czech Republic and the differences between generations.

           During the orientation, a professor told us that Czech students are very quiet and more reserved in the classroom and also in public. I haven’t been in class with Czech students, but when I hung out with them they were more active and talkative than I expected. I was surprised that many Czech students can speak English very well, and they enjoyed talking about their culture and history with UNK students. In addition to university students, many young people who I have met are open to different cultures and very active.

At the welcome party with Czech students 
We had a nice talk and I really enjoyed the time !
          On the other hand, I have been able to see the difference between the old and young generations. Czechs of the old generation are quite different from young people in that they are not familiar with other cultures and more likely to be passive. As a Korean, in my own country I have experienced the gap between generations steadily becoming bigger because of the great differences in social and economic backgrounds. I have seen many poor and worn out elderly Czechs who understand and have experienced hardship that the young generation will never know. The old generation lived through the Soviet occupation and some of them the Nazi occupation. However, whenever I ask old people for help while traveling, they were always willing to help me. This difference is seen in the way that older Czechs are more solemn and quiet will young Czechs are more vocal and active, especially when drinking beer. 

In the tram. I feel like Czech people are very quite in the tram.


          Overall, Czech people, especially people in Olomouc, are very kind and friendly even though they seem very quite and shy. Once you try to get close to them and talk with them, you will feel their warmth and kindness!

No comments:

Post a Comment