Monday, April 20, 2015

4) Language Issues

Language is the first, and by far most prominent, obstacle that we encounter when traveling in different countries that have different languages. I have been traveled in Austria, Germany, Slovakia, Czech Republic and Italy so far, and have had language problems on so many occasions. I do my best to learn some of the basic words of other languages, such as 'thank you' or 'sorry', before I travel, but it is often not enough to continue a conversation with such a limited vocabulary. When taking a train or bus, or ordering food or drinks in a restaurant or cafĂ©, a more thorough knowledge of the language is required.

I am getting used to figuring the metro map out in different countries!
I believe this problem can also be an aspect of attractiveness to traveling abroad because it makes each encounter with locals very unique. But only to a certain extent, sometimes it becomes a bit frustrating. There are many people who can speak basic English in the Czech Republic or other countries in Europe, and this certainly helps. But, if there is no language to be shared at all, it is very difficult to order food or drinks. I learned how to read the drink and dessert menu in my Czech language class and this has helped me a lot when ordering drinks or food in a cafe! There is always a risk, though, when I order food that I don’t even know what it is. I am happy to try new things, but having no idea what I am about to drink or eat is a bit risky, but this is how we learn when we travel.

I studied the Czech drink menu at the coffee shop.
And I got a delicious coffee!

When I travel to places that are not famous tourist areas, I have the most difficulty communicating with people, as there is often very few people who can speak English. Sometimes it makes me frustrated when I can’t explain what I want and I have to simply give up. When I had an issue in the Slovakia train going back to Olomouc, I thought I was not going to make it to Olomouc and almost cried. But I am sure that all travelers have the same problem!


No comments:

Post a Comment