Monday, May 11, 2015

2) Academic Life

            It has been almost two months since I came to Czech Republic and the program is entering its final days. All the memories I have gained are really precious and valuable, giving me a way to freshen my life. Olomouc, where I have mainly stayed, has been one of the best cities I have ever visited in my life. I have become one of the locals in Olomouc and a student of Palacký University. Palacký University has more than 400 year’s of history, which makes it the second oldest university in the Czech Republic. Not only have I been traveling all over Europe but I have also learned many different things from the classes such as European history and the Czech language. I would like to introduce my academic life in Olomouc!

The buildings of the Palacký University are old and beautiful.


           We go to school every weekday, class starts at 3:00 p.m. and we have 3 different classes with different professors. Generally, the first and last classes are one and half-hour lectures about different topics such as history, political systems, international relations, religion and education of European countries, especially the Czech Republic. A variety of the courses are very different from the classes I have taken at UNK, and they are interesting enough to keep me awake during the long class hours. One of the very important parts of this program is the field trips we take to many places in Europe. It has helped me gain a better understanding of what I have learned in class and has broadened my perspective. The topic that I find the most interesting is the Holocaust, a tragic period in the history of the world. From the birth of the Nazi ideology to “the final solution to Jewish question” which led to the murder of millions of innocent people, the lectures about the Holocaust were sad enough to bring tears to my eyes. The field trip to Terezín and Auschwitz showed me poignant evidences of this tragic history that I have learned.

On the way to death. This picture made me almost cry. 

           The second class is usually the Czech language class which last 45 minutes. This class is really fun class, and it is also the most challenging class to me. Since the Czech language has a very different system from Korean and English, I have had trouble in pronouncing simple words and understating the grammar. However, I feel like I am getting better to read and speak basic words thanks to Czech class, especially when I order drink or food. The professor is really passionate and active, so the class is always well-prepared and full of fun activities. Even though I am struggling with the Czech class, I am really glad that I can count numbers and introduce myself in Czech which.


           I definitely recommend this study abroad program to other UNK students. You can have fun while studying! 

No comments:

Post a Comment