Sunday, June 14, 2015

5) Cultural Comparisons 2

            After 3 short months, the program has finished. I have seen a great number of countries and became aware of the differences between various countries and cultures. I started my blog with cultural comparisons between the Czech Republic, South Korea and America. And, now, 3 months later, I would like to finish my blog with cultural comparisons that I have felt and learned during the program.

             One of my favorite things to do in Olomouc was go to local festivals or events. As soon as spring began, there were various festivals held throughout the town almost every week. I really enjoyed going to the open markets in the old town square filled with hand-carved figures, jewelries, clothes and other handcrafts. Also, Burning the Witches event of May Day, international cultural festival, and Ecology Days of Olomouc were very fun and meaningful for me to further understand and experience their culture. In particular, the historic city center of Olomouc turns into a site of many local festivals. Even though there are many kinds of local festivals in my hometown in South Korea, sometimes it is hard to participate in or access them or even know of their existence. I believe that the old city centers in Europe have a vital role in European society and culture.

Having fun with the "witches."
             The other interesting thing is that many Czech college students don’t pay any tuition until they are 26. Public higher education in the Czech Republic is unlimited and free. I was very surprised when I learned about this and I can’t help feeling a little envious. Korean and American students have to pay a lot of money for their education, which sometimes forces them to work or take student loans. One of my friends, a Czech student, told me that she can take any class she wants and she has taken many classes for fun. Maybe that is why I felt Czech students have lots of free time to hang out with their friends and less stress from school. Each education system has its advantages and disadvantages, so it was very interesting to see the differences.

It was better than any other concerts! Spontaneous music performance in the tram in Olomouc!



             In addition to these differences, I have found lots of differences and similarities between the three countries in regards to transportation, health care systems, food cultures, and holidays. Definitely, the study abroad program has given me a better understanding of cultural differences and the history of various countries. This 3 short months has changed my perspective in a major way.

 Olomouc..Adios! 

No comments:

Post a Comment